Dr. Ravishankar Shetty is a highly trained Cardiothoracic Surgeon who completed his super-specialty
training at Jayadeva Institute of Cardiac Sciences in April 2004. He began his career at Narayana
Hrudayalaya where he worked for four years as a Junior Consultant and later as a Consultant in the
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery. He then moved to Sathya Sai Institute of Higher Sciences,
Bangalore where he worked for two years as a Consultant Cardiothoracic Surgeon. In 2010, he
returned to Narayana Hrudayalaya as a Consultant and was later deputed to M S Ramaiah Narayana
Heart Center, a division of Narayana Health, as the Chief Cardiothoracic Surgeon and Consultant till
2023 June. Currently working as a Chief Consultant Cardiothoracic Surgeon at Ramiah Heart Center.
Dr. Ravishankar Shetty has performed more than 8000 cardiac surgeries. Doctors special areas of
interest in Cardiac surgery are minimally invasive cardiac surgery, aortic surgeries, valve repairs,
congenital heart disease corrections, and off-pump and redo CABGs, ECLS (Extracorporeal Life
Support), Cardiac and Renal transplant.7List the doctor’s areas of clinical interest and expertise, e.g.,
heart disease, interventional cardiology, electrophysiology, etc.
Career Summary And Achievements
- Over 21 years of healthcare experience with special expertise in the diagnosis and management
of wide range of medical problems related to Cardiac, Thoracic, and Vascular Surgery
- Started the Cardiac transplant program at M.S Ramaiah Narayana Heart center
- Performed the highest number of cardiac transplants in the state of Karnataka
- Performed the first pediatric cardiac transplant in Karnataka
- Proficient in cardiac surgery in both adult and children, thoracic surgery, and minimally invasive
heart surgery. Performed over 5000 cardiac surgeries so far.
- One of the few Cardiac Surgeons in Karnataka who performs most cardiac surgeries through minimally invasive approach
- Felicitated by Chief Minister of Kerala in 2016 in recognition of the contribution in Thoracic
Organ Transplant in India
- Recipient of the chairman’s award in 2017 conferred by Padmabhushan Dr. Devi Prasad Shetty
- Recipient of certification of appreciation for Exemplary Services towards Heart Transplant
Program – By Vice chairman and CEO of Narayana Health
- As a chairman of E-library committee was instrumental giving free access of E-journals to
medical staff and post graduates of Sri Sathya Sai Institute of Higher Medical Science.
After completing my Super-specialty training in Cardiothoracic Surgery from Jayadeva Institute of
Cardiac Sciences in April 2004. I worked in Narayana Hrudayalaya for about 4 years as Junior
Consultant and Consultant in the Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery. After which, I moved to Sathya
Sai Institute of Higher Sciences, Bangalore as a Consultant Cardiothoracic Surgeon, where I worked for
two years. This institution attracts some of the best medical talent from around the world and provides
world-class healthcare absolutely free of cost. I moved back to Narayana Hrudayalaya in 2010 as a
Consultant. From here I was deputed to M S Ramaiah Narayana Heart Center, which is a division of
Narayana Health, one of the biggest healthcare providers in the country as Consultant and Chief
Cardiothoracic Surgeon and I have been working there till date. As a Consultant Cardiothoracic Surgeon,
in the last 14 years, I have performed more than 5000 cardiac surgeries. My special areas of interest in
Cardiac surgery are minimally invasive cardiac surgery, aortic surgeries, valve repairs, congenital heart
disease corrections, and off-pump and redo CABGs, ECLS (Extracorporeal Life Support), Cardiac and
Educational Qualifications / Training
- March 2001 to April 2004
M. Ch. in Cardiothoracic Surgery from Sri Jayadeva Institute of Cardiac Sciences, Bengaluru, Jan
- September 1997 – October 2000
MS in General Surgery from Dr. B. R Ambedkar Medical College, Bengaluru. Awarded 1st Rank
in Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences for that year.
- September 1991 – April 1997
MBBS from Dr. B. R Ambedkar Medical College, Bengaluru.
Observer and Visiting Fellow in Minimally Invasive Cardiac Surgery at Leipzig Heart Centre,
Cardio Pulmonary Transplants Training and Workshop at Freeman Hospital Newcastle conducted
by Dr. Stephen C Clark
Publications And Presentations
- Presented more than thirty papers at various conferences in India and abroad
- First Prize in paper presentation Surgical Society of Bangalore– Surgical management of thyroid
malignancy June 1998
- Nagamalesh U.M, Ravi Shankar Shetty, Ravi Narayan, Anil Kumar, Ravi Naik, Sadath Uzma,
Karthik Naidu K.C. Isolated supravalvular aortic stenosis with left ventricular diverticulum and
cleft mitral valve: Surgical repair in adulthood, J Saudi Heart Assoc 2017 Oct; 29(4): 300–304
- Ramaiah AH, Das JK, Shetty K R. Ectatic coronary arteries in a patient with Noonan syndrome
on Transoesophageal echocardiography. Ann Card Anaesth 2014; 17:139-40
- Ravi Shankar Shetty, Jameel Khan Thareen, Anil Kumar Hpalya Ramaiah, Ravi Narayan.
Anomalous Origin of Single Coronary Artery From Pulmonary Artery: Serendipitous Diagnosis
and Successful Surgical Treatment. World Journal for Pediatric and Congenital Heart Surgery
2015, Vol. 6(1) 108-110
This is the 5th Successful case to be operated in the world.
- Giant Abdominal aortic aneurysm of uncommon etiology due to Behcet disease
- Aashish Reddy Bande, Pramila Kalra, P Venkatesh Rao, Ravi Shankar Shetty. A Rare Case Of
Ectopic Mediastinal Parathyroid Carcinoma. Indian Journal of Endocrinology and Metabolism
2017 Oct; 21(Suppl 2): S4–S79
- Ravi Shankar Shetty, Shilpa Rudradevaru. “Herniation of the heart – After minimally Invasive Cardiac Surgery, A Rare Complication” – Sent for publication to Asian Annals of Cardiothoracic Surgery.
- Extended usage of IABP – Indications and outcomes – IACTS
- Facile Minimally Invasive Radial Artery Harvesting with a regular OT equipment (A Laryngoscope) – IACTS
- Homologous transfusion less routine cardiac surgery – is it possible? -IACTS
- Comparison of posteriobasal LV functions between posterior leaflet preservation and complete subvalvar preservation during MVR Indian Association of Cardiovascular and Thoracic Surgeons Conference.
- “LA function after electrocautery maze in MVR in Rheumatic Heart Disease” – IACTS
- LVOT obstruction due to subaortic membrane and mitral accessory tissue – a case report” –IACTS
- Ex-faculty of DNB in Cardiothoracic Surgery Teaching Programme at Narayana Hrudayalaya Institute of Medical Sciences. Involved classroom and practical teaching of DNB students.
- Ex-faculty of DNB in Cardiothoracic Surgery Teaching Programme at Sri Sathya Sai Institute of Higher Medical Sciences, Bangalore. Involved classroom and practical teaching of DNB students.
- Ex-faculty (Consultant), Department of Vascular Surgery, M S Ramaiah Memorial Medical College, Bangalore.
Invited Orations And Faculty
- Tips and Tricks of Cardiac Transplant at Heart Failure Foundation Conclave on Advanced Heart Failure and Transplantation held in July 2018
- Has been invited to be a Faculty 2019 Heart Failure conclave to be held at New Delhi in February 2019
- Society of Heart Failure and Transplant 2016
- Faculty IACTS – 2017
- Presentation on Mechanical Circulatory Support at KCSICON -2017 – Mechanical Circulatory Support
- Faculty and Chief Wet lab hands on workshop on LVAD and Cardiac transplant with International Faculty 2018 -HFF Conclave.
- Faculty / ACTS – Wet lab on Cardiac Transplant / LVADI
- Faculty HFF conclave 2021 – 2023 – Program Director Wet lab, conference
- February 2010 to September 2010
Consultant Cardiothoracic Surgeon at Narayana Hrudayalaya Institute Medical Sciences, Hosur Road, Bengaluru, India
- February 2008 to January 2010
Consultant Cardiothoracic Surgeon at Shree Sathya Sai Institute of Higher Medical Sciences, Bengaluru, India
- April 2004 to January 2008
Junior Consultant in Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery at Narayana Hrudayalaya Institute Medical Sciences, Hosur Road, Bengaluru, India
- Member, Indian Association of Cardiovascular and Thoracic Surgeons.
- Member, Indian Medical Association, India.
- Member, Karnataka Medical Council, India
- On nomination from the Honorable Governor of Karnataka, served as a Member in the Senate of the Health University of Karnataka (Two terms), which is responsible for setting and regulating
standards of health-care education in the state.
- Member of the syndicate of Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences (RGUHS)- Twice.
- Nominated to the Syndicate of Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences (RGUHS), and have been part of various committees. Had taken up the responsibility of rejuvenating HELINET, the e-library of RGUHS as the Chairman of the review committee. Today, HELINET has become one of the most comprehensive e-library in the country.
- A sizeable proportion of surgeries that I do are on patients who come from very poor economic backgrounds and are provided treatment under government insurance schemes for the underprivileged